This Mediterranean Yellow Rice recipes will transform leftover rice with a burst of flavor from turmeric, fresh herbs vegetables, and cashews for texture. 15 minutes, easy, vegan, and gluten-free! Great with a falafel, shwarma pita, tzatziki, tabbouli, or a Greek salad.
I feel like I always have leftover rice lurking around in the fridge. Like EVERY single day! We eat a ton of rice on our homestead (basmati, jasmine, brown, arborio, wild, forbidden rice, sushi rice, etc) and eat it probably 3 or 4 times a week along side curries, crispy tofu, and stews. This yellow Mediterranean rice recipe is perfect for using old leftover rice that is in the fridge.
This Yellow Rice With Vegetables is:
- A great way to re-use leftover rice
- Vegan, gluten free, and SO yummy
Save that Leftover Rice for a No-Waste Recipe!
I’m all about saving, reusing, or repurposing as much as I can in my kitchen. This yellow Mediterranean rice is the perfect recipe to repurpose something you may be tempted to throw out. Instead of tossing old or dry rice in the compost or garbage, you can repurpose it into a delicious and flavorful side. I’m all about saving anything I can from my kitchen, and this rice is a great way to avoid letting leftovers go to waste!
What’s In This Greek Yellow Rice Recipe?
- Olive Oil: I like to use this delicious Zoe olive oil which has a fantastic flavor and deep color- it’s really inexpensive online here, so I keep a few liters stocked up in my pantry. For the quality of oil you get, it’s an excellent value, I would highly recommend!
- Garlic: I use fresh garlic when I have it, and this great jarred organic garlic when I don’t have fresh. It’s actually super convenient to have pre-chopped garlic on hand for quick and easy meal prep.
- Turmeric – a staple in our spice cabinet! Aside from all the wonderful health benefits of turmeric, the flavor is fantastic. I try to add a teaspoon of turmeric into soups, stews, and rice dishes too.
- Cooked Rice – you can use leftover rice, which for us is usually this delicious basmati rice. You can use jasmine, a medium or long grain rice. Just make sure the rice is cooked before you add it to this recipe.
- Reduced Sodium Vegetable Stock or Bouillon: I love this Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base for my recipes because it has a great flavor and is lower in sodium. I only develop my recipes with low sodium ingredients so the ingredients shine. You can always add salt to a recipe if it needs it, but it’s almost impossible to take it out! Start with a low sodium broth or bouillon, and add more salt later if needed.
- Cashews: I love raw unsalted cashews in this rice.
This rice is great because it comes together really quickly and includes ingredients I always keep on hand. I love the color (and the health benefits) from the turmeric. Its such a beautiful ingredient to add that really boosts the flavor.
Serve This Yellow Mediterranean Rice as a Side Dish With:
Get the same ingredients I Used For My Vegan Yellow Rice Recipe!
As always, if you make this vegan and gluten free Mediterranean yellow rice recipe be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me @theherbeevore on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Mediterranean Yellow Rice (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over low heat and add the garlic, onions, and carrots to the pot. Sauté the vegetables for 4-5 minutes until the begin to soften. Add the turmeric and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the leftover rice and the vegetable stock or water. Using a wooden spoon, break up the rice and stir to the veggies are mixed in and the rice begins to get a golden color from the turmeric. Cook over low heat for another 10 minutes until the rice absorbs the vegetable stock.
- Add the fresh parsley and crushed cashews at the end. Stir to combine, and serve!