This rich and creamy Tortilla Soup is full of fresh vegetables and topped with crunchy tortillas and ricotta. Can be made vegan or vegetarian too!
This is a family recipe from my sister-in-law Lorah! She made it for us a few days after our wedding. In true fall fashion we had turkey as the main course at the wedding, and we ended up having a LOT of leftovers. Lorah made her go-to recipe for when she has extra chicken around- her Tortilla Soup!
The recipe does have meat it in, but I added vegetarian/vegan options next to the ingredient list.
Creamy Tortilla Soup (Vegan / Vegetarian Option, GF, Family Recipe)
For The Soup
- 6 large poblano or Anaheim peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic diced
- 2 jalapeños seeded
- 2 26 ounce cans of whole or diced tomatoes
- 4 cups stock of your choice
- 1 cup heavy cream or cashew cream
- 4 cups shredded meat chicken, turkey, etc.- use tempeh for vegan
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For The Garnish
- Queso Fresco or ricotta cheese
- Crumbled tortilla chips
- Cilantro chopped
- Avocados sliced
- Turn on the oven broiler to low, and place the poblano peppers directly under. Broil them for 10 minutes or so until skin begins to blister and blacken
- In large soup pot, heat the oil until it begins to shimmer. Add the garlic and onions and sauce for 5 minutes or so until soft.
- To the soup pot, add the jalapeños, tomatoes, stock, and bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the poblano peppers.
- In a blender, combine the de-seeded poblano peppers, tomato/veggie mixture and blend until smooth. Put mixture back into soup pot.
- Add the cream and shredded meat to the pot and heat.
- Adjust salt and pepper seasonings
- Serve with queso fresco, avocado slices, cilantro, and tortilla chips.