A rich and flavorful potato kale soup with homemade TVP sausage and a thick creamy broth – naturally vegan, meal prep friendly, & gluten free!
This Creamy Zuppa Toscana Is:
- A delish take on potato kale soup! Olive Garden copycat, anyone?
- Easy to meal prep and make ahead
- Vegan, gluten free, dairy free!
If you love Zuppa Toscana and are looking for a vegan version – look no further! This delicious homemade soup is great for Sunday Meal Prep – I made a huge pot of it on the stove and portioned out lunches to bring to the office for the week.
This soup has a super creamy broth from the cashew cream, but is also light from all the vegetables. The crushed red pepper gave this soup a really nice spice too – it definitely has a good kick!
I made some homemade TVP ground ‘sausage’ (you can read the recipe here) but using any meatless meat or vegan sausage substitute would work just as well.
My husband gave this soup a huge thumbs up! He said it was really filling for lunch, but still not too heavy – and had a great flavor from the herbs and spices.
As always, if you make this zuppa toscana (vegan, GF) be sure to leave me a comment, rate this recipe, and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Creamy Potato Kale Soup, Zuppa Toscana- Vegan, Whole30, Paleo Option
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 cup hot water or 1 cup heavy cream in place of Cashews and hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots diced
- 8 medium red potatoes diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 cups vegetable stock or water
- 4 cups fresh chopped kale
- 3 cups ground TVP ‘sausage’ RECIPE HERE or meatless ground meat or sausage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Begin by soaking the cashews in the hot water. This will become the cashew cream.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over low heat and saute the onion and garlic for 6-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Add the carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, red pepper flakes, and vegetable stock and simmer for about 40 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
- Add the kale and cashew cream, stir, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes until kale becomes tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning