These BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwiches are a BBQ season treat! Served with creamy coleslaw, these are perfect for a potluck, party, or dinner.
We love hosting summer BBQs and parties at our place! Theres nothing better than having lots of friends over, eating delicious food, and enjoying a cold margarita (or two). I love easy make ahead recipes for BBQ season, and these awesome pulled jackfruit sandwiches can be made ahead in no time.
These BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches Are:
- Messy (in a good way)
- Perfect for entertaining
- A great alternative to pulled pork
I love finding new meat alternatives- and jackfruit is definitely one of the most unique out there. The firs time I saw it in the store was in the frozen aisle of an Indian market… but now I can find canned brined jackfruit at Trader Joe’s and other larger markets.
Whats In These Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches?
- Jackfruit (unsweetened, check the label!)
- Olive Oil
- BBQ Sauce of your choice (I use a gluten-free and vegan one!)
- Vegetable Stock
- Sriracha is optional, if you like your sandwiches a bit spicier
- Sandwich buns of choice, you can use regular or gluten-free if avoiding wheat
For this recipe, its super important to get canned jackfruit in brine, not in syrup- or else it will be too sweet for a sandwich. Jackfruit really does make a wonderful substitute for pulled pork, which is awesome for a quick and easy summer weeknight dinner.
Let me just say, the Coleslaw Recipe here is the absolute BEST! Its a recipe from my dad who is the king of all yummy creamy salads (he makes a mean creamy cucumber salad, and creamy kidney bean salad too!) Putting the coleslaw on the sandwich is a must- it really creates the perfect texture sandwich.
I used a food processor to get the pulled pork texture, but you can also mash it up with a fork or potato masher.
What do I serve with these Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches?
- Obviously, The BEST Ever Coleslaw!
- Amazing Greek Pasta Salad
- Rainbow Quinoa Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad with a Modern Twist
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches (Vegan, Gluten Free Option)
- 2 20 ounce cans unsweetened brined jackfruit, drained
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce of choice use gluten free/vegan
- 2 tablespoons sriracha if you like it spicier
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 hamburger buns of choice use gluten free/vegan
- 1 batch of The BEST Ever Coleslaw Link In Notes Below!!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Drain and rinse canned jackfruit and pat dry. Add the jackfruit mixture to a food processor and pulse a few times until the jackfruit resembles the texture of pulled pork.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil, and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the jackfruit and sauté for an additional 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, BBQ sauce, and sriracha (if adding) and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place jackfruit mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn a crispy brown.
- When jackfruit is finished cooking, remove from the oven and serve: Scoop some jackfruit onto a hamburger bun, add more BBQ sauce if desired, and top with spoonful of coleslaw! Enjoy!